Relaxation therapy is a type of therapy that helps in reducing muscle tension & stress, lowers blood pressure, and controls pain. It may involve tensing and relaxing muscles throughout the body. When an individual feel stress, the body responds by releasing hormones that increases the blood pressure and raise the heart rate. This is called the stress response. Relaxation techniques can help your body relax and lower your blood pressure and heart rate. This is called a relaxation response.
Relaxation has plenty of ways to benefit you, for example:
- Lowering your anxiety, heart rate, blood pressure and breathing rate.
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain.
- Improving concentration and mood.
- Reducing fatigue.
- Reducing anger and frustration.
- Boosting confidence to handle problems.
Relaxation therapy require the use of the 5 senses; vision, hearing, touch, taste and smell and involves imagining and experiencing different sensations.